Jisho

2986330e38386f92fee4774b0c54ed66
117 Replies ・ Started by Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-17 16:39:17 UTC ・ Last reply by Kimtaro Admin at 2015-10-31 22:23:47 UTC

The next generation of Jisho is here!

Welcome to the next generation of Jisho!

The site has a completely new design with a single search bar that you use to find everything that Jisho contains — words, kanji, sentences, names, links and more. In addition to the new design we have added a plethora of new features and upgrades to existing ones. Among the highlights you will find better sorting, search by handwriting, help with reading text, and better data.

We started working on the new Jisho over five years ago as classic Jisho couldn't handle all the ideas we had for what a Japanese dictionary can be. We are releasing our baby today, April 18, to celebrate the tenth anniversary of Jisho. It's hard to believe that we registered the jisho.org domain name exactly 10 years ago. We hope you are as excited as we are about this release and what's ahead for Jisho!

If you have any feedback or bug reports, please don't hesitate to reach out to us on the forum, Twitter @jisho, Facebook fb.com/jisho.org, or simply email us.

Here's what we are releasing today:

New Design: Classic Jisho forced you to figure out what you wanted to know up front, before you started to search, which isn't always easy. For example, sometimes you want to understand a Japanese word, but you also want to know what the kanji in it means. In the new Jisho you just put what you want to understand in the search bar, and voilà, Jisho will bring you as much information about your query as it can.

Better English Sorting: We have improved the sorting algorithm significantly, and most English words you search will now give you good Japanese equivalents.
Example: house

Text Reading Assistance: You can now paste in a full block of Japanese text and Jisho will show you the readings of each word, insert spaces to mark the word borders, and give color to different parts of speech in order to make it easier to read. You can then search for individual words by clicking on them.
Example: 昨日すき焼きを食べました

Handwriting and Voice Search: In addition to searching kanji by radicals, you can also search by drawing kanji by hand. This is a brand spanking new feature! If you are using the Chrome browser, you can also search by voice.

Tags: We have added the ability to fine-tune your search by using tags for things like part of speech or what JLPT level a word or kanji is.
Example: JLPT N3 words, counter words

Grammar Information: When you search for an inflected word, we will tell you how that word is inflected.
Example: 走った

Links to Further Reading: We share with you links to other sites that offer great explanations of words and concepts.
Example: particles

Wikipedia Entries: As additional dictionary data, Jisho now contains Wikipedia articles that have both an English and a Japanese version.
Example: tsugaru clan

Convert Japanese Years and Numbers: Jisho now has the ability to convert Japanese years and numbers into their western counterparts. Isn't it neat?
Example: 昭和58, 二十三万

Multiple Word Search: You can use several words to narrow your search.
Example: 日 sunlight

Stroke Order Animations: The kanji details page now includes stroke order animations in addition to the existing stroke order diagrams. (Aren't we fancy?)
Example:

Pronunciation Audio: Certain words now have audio. You can play to hear it pronounced by a native Japanese speaker. This is thanks to the awesome peeps at Tofugu.
Example: 食べる

Collocations: Some words will tell you what other words they can be combined with to form collocations and expressions.
Example: 時間

Inflection Table: Verbs have an inflection table to show you how to correctly apply common inflection patterns.
Example: 歌う

Recent Searches for Logged-in Users: If you create a user account we will save your ten most recent searches for easy access.

Comment on Words and Sentences: Logged in users can post comments on words and sentences do discuss them in the forum.

Continuously Updated Data: In classic Jisho we had to update the data manually, which was a laborious process that happened very infrequently. Not so anymore. The main dictionary data in the new Jisho is updated daily from the source database--JMdict. Always fresh.

Lastly I would like to thank all the people who made this release possible. My coder-in-arms Andrew who has worked tirelessly with me on the new Jisho, creating several of the new awesome features. My wonderful wife Miwa without whose constant support and wisdom the new Jisho would never have been possible. Long time friends Sophian, who has given me invaluable guidance and help, and last but surely not the least Takumi who made the new stylish Jisho logo. All the beta testers who have provided great feedback and bug reports. All the wonderful people who work on the data sources that Jisho uses. ありがとう!

FAQ

Why this sudden and big update?

Classic Jisho was built by Kim over ten years ago and couldn't support all the ideas we had for what Jisho can be. We wanted a fresh start to try out new ideas.

But the Jisho you are looking at right now is just the very beginning of what we think a Japanese dictionary should be. We have tons of ideas for great new features and improvements to existing features to help you read and understand Japanese more easily. Tune in to the forum where we will post updates when new features are added or we improve the existing ones. You can also share you ideas there.

Where can I find certain search features from classic Jisho?

Classic Jisho has a lot of detailed search features in the main interface, especially for kanji search. These features are available in the new Jisho as well, but are not shown in the main search interface in order to keep it straight forward for the most common use cases. You can read about how to perform the advanced searches in the advanced search options documentation.

Will I still be able to use classic Jisho?

If you prefer classic Jisho you can still access it at classic.jisho.org. But be aware that we are no longer updating it and the database is not up to date with the latest dictionary data. iphone.jisho.org, m.jisho.org and k.jisho.org will continue to run as usual, but are also no longer being updated.

141b30a4eb9605523e980169c27bd6ff
jihye at 2015-04-17 17:04:13 UTC

Awesome!!!

9f0a671b11906142d92fbf231a0ebf32
Jaraya at 2015-04-17 17:09:40 UTC

I liked the old version.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-17 17:13:37 UTC

@Jaraya classic Jisho is still available at classic.jisho.org :)

E38e1f32190d49e5893678f64614b1d2
AsterSelene at 2015-04-17 17:38:46 UTC

After getting quite a shock this morning (I was using old Jisho just last night, too) I'm definitely liking the new features. Especially the sentence deconstruction.
That said, I'm definitely going through a bit of intimidation trying to find everything (all the sections are on the same page but in separate pages so I have to look around for everything, whereas in old Jisho they would be tucked under a fairly accessible button). It might just be because I'm used to the old one, though.
That and the font just seems really big, but that's kind of a gripe I have with modern web design in general, so you can safely ignore that.

5486cfd4f408db91928588d9a85f7bf8
Tzeitel at 2015-04-17 17:58:46 UTC

YES! It was quite shocking! So COOL! but I would like to know if an user is able to create a history of the searched words to create a wordbank or something like that.

Cheers!!!!!

16d8a53499797e9b0c3c19b25d1cf01e
MuffinMiner at 2015-04-17 18:12:31 UTC

text reading assistance
says the white screen with white links
I didn't even know how to get to the details of a word until i flailed my mouse around in frustration! At least incorporate a dark theme so people can actually SEE how to get places on a site!
I know this references Japanese text, but this is a serious complaint nonetheless!

B19deb7ca38815678b94dac0cbfe762f
SofaLout at 2015-04-17 18:21:01 UTC

It's cool you have that enthusiasm for the site!

Things I miss:
That easy checkbox which allowed you to par down results to 'common words'
Consistent text size
The wider main area, which meant less scrolling

Things which are great:
Inflection Tables
Pronounciation audio
The display and searchability of JLPT level

And the tags seem like they'll be real useful once I adjust to them

Ec5bf5dceb7061e96603a9010ed816b9
Sitensis at 2015-04-17 18:34:56 UTC

Hello,I registered just to voice my feedback.

I presume one of the reasons of this new layout is to cater for mobile devices. It's a common problem for most of the popular sites, and even operating systems that they try to optimize their layout so much for mobile devices, it gets really awkward when using the site from a PC. Unfortunately that's what I feel the case is with Jisho right now.

As we all know, there are many, many words in Japanese that have the same pronounciation. The old Jisho had a simple and "small" font that listed as many possible words at once as possible. It was really easy to find what one was looking for, as opposed to new layout's huge font and big margin areas from left and right, making the user scroll and scroll to find what they are looking for, making it much easier to miss the word you seek.

The Kanji details part, where you would see all information belonging to the relative Kanji in a compact interface, is now scattered all around, making you click somewhere for each detail instead of being able to see them all at once, leading to loss of concentration.

I have respect that you want to add new features and make it better and a more "advanced" experience for the users, but when adding new features, it's very important not to lose what you had before I believe. What I see primarily is that there are a lot of visual improvements, fancy animations and interactive menus. But this is not an entertainment website, so what comes before form is function I think, and many aspects of the new interface seem like a downgrade since it requires you to "play" with the website instead of "read" it. Part of this is caused by the wasted space on screen and big fonts, which I suspect is due mobile devices as I said above.

It literally used to feel like a dictionary, simple and effective. Now it feels like an App.

The old color coded layout also made it rather easy to recognize and tell apart words, now it's very hard to tell if a link is part of jisho, or part of the ads surrounding the margin area. I assume that was not intentional, hopefully?
Truth to be told, when I first entered the website today, everything looked so much like ads, I thought the site was closed and turned into one of those search engine thingies... Was very glad to find out this was not the case, as this site was very very useful and precious to me, thus the reason of my reaction and this wall of text I just created...

I don't want to sound harsh, but I felt the need to write these, because of how much I care for this wonderful dictionary.
What I believe is that the interface needs to be simplified, and have more of a "list" feeling like the old site, instead of try to adapt an "App" feeling.

Thanks for reading.

104d5f98e79541a07382946a5975c726
sollniss at 2015-04-17 18:43:54 UTC

I used to replace the kanji stroke order diagrams with my own. Is there a way to get to the old ID from the SVG-IDs now? My pictures have the same name than the old diagrams on jisho.

7ec5b3b236d26f8c842ae2eab5568020
woreno at 2015-04-17 18:57:52 UTC

i agree with Sitensis comment. the old design was so compact that
allowed efficient search especially when searching for words with different meanings.
i think that you should think about offering a compact option.
this doesn't mean that this new one isn't good; definitively is good
for causal view or tablet reading.
good work! i hope you get another option soon running. i learn a lot with your site in
this last year (even english)
sorry for my english

7ec5b3b236d26f8c842ae2eab5568020
woreno at 2015-04-17 19:13:49 UTC

uh oh.. you still have it at classic.jisho.org :)

4a91df59972838153003f7668ca1ecad
Ste7en at 2015-04-17 19:26:34 UTC

Oh wow, this is pretty awesome! Bravo. I did like the old version, but I’m thinking that I can get used to this new layout pretty quickly. Not only that, but the Midori app is officially inferior, now that there’s a draw kanji opinion. Well done, y'all. :)

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-17 19:43:48 UTC

@AsterSelene Yeah the new layout can be a bit all over the place at times. We'll definitely keep tweaking it to reach something more balanced.

@MuffinMiner, @Sitensis Sorry that the new layout isn't great for you! I would like to respond to your concerns in more detail, but it's 4:44AM here and I need to sleep after a very long day :) I will respond to you tomorrow! Like @woreno said, you can reach the classic Jisho at http://classic.jisho.org

@Tzeitel, we will work on such a feature! :)

@SofaLout We're very enthusiastic! :) Thanks for the pro's and con's list. Will take into consideration!

@sollniss, it's not exposed in the HTML right now, but I'll think about adding it back. Sorry!

@Ste7en Sweet, thanks! :D

91a0117ac9cc20abbcb31ab40e76c5aa
slyborg at 2015-04-17 19:55:43 UTC

I love jisho.org, have been using it since I started with the language five years ago, and since seeing the beta, have been dreading this day. I have to echo the comments about the Classic interface being much more efficient due providing more matches with the information I want immediately, which is the plain definitions. When I first saw the beta my first thought was 'this is tangorin with a white background.'

I also second the idea of having a compact format - ideally some options for being able to turn on/off things like the example sentences/kanji results (like Tangorin). And is that giant logo in the header really necessary?

I know you guys worked hard on this, and it seems to be working well, kudos for that. I also understand that technologies need to be modernized from time to time, but it makes me sad when I have to start scrolling like mad to see the same information I had before.

Classic: http://imgur.com/dcNn4n2
New: http://imgur.com/h6V7FQy

4c4b8bde7875b64e5bf0e7181525cd2f
Moosealert at 2015-04-17 20:14:48 UTC

Why won't Classic get database updates? Is there a technical reason, or is it just a ploy to get people to stop using it?

I always used Jisho because of the simple, clean, usable, pleasing interface. Best in class. I was under the assumption that the beta site was only a testbed for new features, and would receive an actual UI at a later stage. Can't believe the final version is actually this huge white void.

E142631be6978ec927bcea665cbe452a
troyp at 2015-04-17 20:53:00 UTC

Wow, I had no idea you were working on such a massive overhaul of jisho.org. It looks like you've greatly extended the capabilities of the site. It's nice to see that you're making full use of the many freely licensed resources available.

I have to say, though, I don't like the new design. Sure, it's attractive and "modern", but I find it less useful (at least for some searches). The old design made it easy to do a quick search and scan all the results. The new design is much less compact, so it's harder to find what you want (or conclude it's not there). Of course, this could be improved with customization options on the site, or even with a userstyle on the client side.

A more serious issue is that the searches are much slower. Response time is one of the most important aspects of an online dictionary, so it shouldn't be compromised. The new site's just come up, though, so maybe you just wanted to get it working before you worried about speed.

I'm really glad the classic site is still available, even though it's not being updated. I can update by search bookmarks to point to that for now. Although I'm definitely going to explore the features on the new site...

81086a2e23d9d6ee05c31c9848c4b536
NessDan at 2015-04-17 21:07:15 UTC

Been using beta.jisho.org for the past 5 months hardcore, every day.

I absolutely love it and love the update. Thank you so much for the great site :)

3be6a2e2b6b346789187cfccd7964b70
Serpentsounds at 2015-04-17 22:46:20 UTC

Thanks a lot for your hard work. I only have one gripe, but it should be an easy fix. On the classic page, the search box is given focus upon page load, but this doesn't happen for me in the new one. I liked being able to quickly open a new tab, navigate to jisho, and search immediately, without having to reach for my mouse or tab-cycle focus. I'd really love to see it implemented in the new version.

653d52cb9d8292291ed713c53919d2cd
Syou at 2015-04-18 01:05:32 UTC

I had noticed the beta a while back and hoped it wouldn't stay with that look, but now here it is. No more updates for classic? I really liked the compact table layout of classic. It's the reason I used this site instead of sites like Tangorin. I guess I'll have to go look somewhere else then...

460744f676cbdbe0d806f6f09a529756
Midori at 2015-04-18 04:04:53 UTC

I think it's great that you're trying out new things there were many things that could use improving. Namely, the search function. You did a fantastic job. It was so frustrating to type in cat and have ねこ practically the last word. Now it comes up right away. It also recognized when I was using English to try to convey ウェ. Something it never did before. (Though I still have to spell it right.)

The format does look a lot nicer and looks like it would be better for mobiles. However, the amount of space it takes up is too much.

The kanji writing recognition does not work at all. I've tried a few different kanji's but the system cannot seem to understand what I'm writing. I'm trying to write as clearly as possible. However, it still seems to fail. I love the idea, but I think you need to tweak the recognition more.

Here's a few examples:

I wrote 土. That kanji did not come up at all. However, it thought I was trying to write 千. So I wrote 千 and it came up as 干. I can see how it would come up with that, but 千 was nowhere in the suggested kanji. 展 was, but I have no clue how it would think I wrote that. It has so many more strokes. I wrote 祭. It thinks I wrote 呷, a kanji that has much fewer strokes. This is not a one time thing. It seems to happen over and over again.

However, the numbers feature will be very useful. Now it just needs to be able to be converted the other way.

0449fa2ece6263f0df402ec1db20b5be
StellaHagane at 2015-04-18 04:20:58 UTC

I really like the functionality of this update, but I'm disappointed in the design. It's... all white. Like one of those fake hospitals in a horror movie or something. Literally the only color on the main page are the book on the logo (And by the way, that shade of green is hard on the eyes) and the tiny hinomaru. I loved the green color of the old site, it was easy on the eyes but looked alive and friendly. This new design is all white, and so empty, it just looks kind of devoid of all life. I don't expect a big change or anything, and I really appreciate all the work you guys have done for so long! But if you do decide to change things a bit in the future, I think it would be really nice if you could make the background or something a subtle color. Just... Not so much white and grey.
Thank you very much for all your hard work! Jisho is honestly one of the most useful websites I know, I have no idea where I'd be in my studies without it. ありがとうございます!

39255341a51574e9651b1094537e7683
l_andrew_l Admin at 2015-04-18 04:38:03 UTC

To echo Kimtaro, I think the #1 point to express is that we are very aware how massive a UI change this is. When sites make a change like this (especially after so long) it feels aggressive, like the design is willfully betraying an interface you've grown to love. However there isn't a single element on the new Jisho that we aren't willing to rethink for the sake of a better user experience. Everyone's voice needs to be taken into consideration, but if a change needs to be made it will be made.

As to the layout "compactness", this seems to be a theme and I kind of understand. Looking at the layout now, I can already see some areas we can move around to help tighten that up. However, consider this:

http://classic.jisho.org/words?jap=&eng=house&dict=edict
http://jisho.org/search/house

Classic Jisho is much more compact and easier to scan, right? But where is "家"? Well, it's on page 21. That's right, the most common definition of one of the most common words. Page. Twenty. One. When Kimtaro set out to update the site, at the very start was addressing this huge, very basic issue - that people simply weren't finding what they were looking for. The UI of classic Jisho likely evolved as a response to this. It needed to be so scannable because you were going to be doing a loooooot of scanning. I definitely agree that we can tighten some things up, but we also really want to make an effort to get you what you're looking for MUCH higher up. Hopefully a balance can be struck here.

@Serpentsounds Search box focus on load is working for me... maybe let me know your OS/Browser and which page?

Ec5bf5dceb7061e96603a9010ed816b9
Sitensis at 2015-04-18 06:17:23 UTC

@l_andrew_l

I don't know too much about how websites work sir, but I fail to see how 家 coming up too late in the results has to do with UI and not the database. Was is the huge fonts that brought it up in the results?

1791e25d8ae77cb08b9bf5f050d088b0
Bilyana at 2015-04-18 07:37:09 UTC

I really like the new Jisho :) Thank you for making learning Japanese so much easier and fun. I am particularly fond of the new features that display collocations and sentence search.

460744f676cbdbe0d806f6f09a529756
Midori at 2015-04-18 07:50:41 UTC

If you're taking suggestions, I would like to state that as someone that suffers from migraines, the bright white background is really bad for me. I would suggest even a light grey in place of it.

As an artiest, I would suggest redesigning the website so it has a unique feel. Right now, it feels very boring. The one design element I really liked from the old design was the name of the website in kanji. It would be really great if you implemented that into the new design as well. One thing I would think would look really nice is if the background looked like old paper. My thought is a light brown with subtle tone changes.

I also wouldn't mind more green. =D

04f56b69c47c7a63cc54f03a7dbac56c
Sydol at 2015-04-18 09:19:35 UTC

Hello. I registered just to share my opinion.
I started using jisho.org a few weeks ago, as a companion to Anki while studying kanji. The main purpose is to check wherever Heisig definition is correct or perfectible, so I run a query for the kanji itself and see which compounds it shows.

This morning it has been an unpleasant find, not because the old look was familiar (I started very recently to use it) but because one glance was not enough anymore to check the various nuances of a kanji.

I'm not against the new version. I'm against it making harder to find the information I need.
And that's just a matter of layout. I'm on a PC, not a mobile phone.

That said, I know that the main problem with free -for users- online resources is that they're not free for their creators.
That's why I suspended AdBlock on your domain. I still won't click, probably, but at least it will give you impressions =)

But please, add a layout for computer users as well, so that we don't have to stick with classic version (by the way, thank you to keeping it online: I know some arrogant webmasters that would say "This is my baby, you have to like it because I do!").

And thank you in a more general way to keep up the good work.

1a6c6e3ad91de292f9109a26438a810b
Amon at 2015-04-18 10:05:17 UTC

Thank you so much for keeping the classic Jisho available. For my studies I really (REALLY!) need the old format where I can simply copy-paste a entry of Kanji - Kana - Definition into a spreadsheet for further processing. That´s not possible with the new Jisho.
If ain´t broken, don´t fix it!

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 11:33:47 UTC

@MuffinMiner It sounds like there might be an issue with the layout in your browser. Could you tell me what OS and browser you are using?

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 11:46:03 UTC

@Sitensis Thank you for the detailed feedback. I agree to a certain degree that the new layout currently can be a little overwhelming and disorganised due to it being very simple. We'll keep tweaking it and want to find a good balance between "list" style and "dictionary" style entries. The larger default font is partly because I find it easier to read :) We'll try to unify the font sizes a little bit more, but will probably keep the larger overall feeling.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 11:51:28 UTC

@slyborg As @l_andrew_l pointed out, we were hoping that the better sorting would reduce the need for scrolling a lot. But we definitely want to tighten it up a bit more regardless. Might consider user options for what to display, need to think that over a bit more first.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 11:55:19 UTC

@Moosealert Definitely no ploy! When I made classic Jisho I wasn't a very experienced programmer, and it turned out difficult to update it. Actually it hasn't received any updates for quite a while now, which is why I thought it was very important to release the new Jisho so people would get access to the most recent dictionary data.

We'll keep tweaking the new layout and hopefully we'll arrive at something you like.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 12:00:35 UTC

@troyp Could you tell me what you were searching for and what you expected to find? I would love to know what kind of searches are returning long list of words that are hard to go through.

The site being slower is definitely not what we wanted! We did lots of tests to ensure that it would be fast. The server did move from central USA to the east coast, so it's possible that could have a small impact. Are you using the site from a desktop or mobile device?

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 12:00:49 UTC

@NessDan Thank you! :)

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 12:01:43 UTC

@Serpentsounds That is how it should work, so it sounds like a bug. What OS and browser are you using?

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 12:02:21 UTC

@Syou You can still use classic Jisho at http://classic.jisho.org

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 12:05:52 UTC

@Midori The handwriting can be a little tricky to get right. Make sure you are writing with the correct stroke order, as that matters. But we've noticed that it's sometimes buggy and we are looking into fixing it.

Will definitely add a reverse number conversion :)

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 12:09:34 UTC

@StellaHagane Thanks for the kind words. And that's a very ... interesting comparison! :)

We agree that it's a little overboard with lack of colors and will tweak the design from here. See it as a first blank slate that we can build upon.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 12:10:58 UTC

@Bilyana Sweet, glad you like it!

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 12:13:14 UTC

@Midori That's a good point about migraines. We've also heard some feedback that the very bright design can be hard for people with dyslexia to read. We will try to alleviate this!

Personally I'm also a fan of lot's of green :)

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 12:15:12 UTC

@Sydol Thanks for disabling AdBlock for us! :)

Could you give me a link to a kanji search you do and suggest how the layout could be better for your use case? Do you want more example words on the kanji details page?

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 12:16:28 UTC

@Amon That's a good point about copying and pasting results into a spreadsheets. I'm not sure if making the default layout support that specific use case. But we want to support it for sure. Maybe through a specific CSV mode or by word lists.

Efa76434297b6fc03cd9f4634087442d
comeauch at 2015-04-18 15:10:08 UTC

There's only one thing I miss: the kana form of words. For example the result of "呼び捨て" shows it with furigana, so the pronunciation is indeed 100% clear... but there's no way to easily copy-paste よびすて (into Anki for example). I'll admit the furigana version is beautiful though ;)

27a627dc998363fb50e78b90127de238
Tsukumogami at 2015-04-18 15:15:40 UTC

Are there any chance that the kanji kentei level of various characters will be added?

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 15:28:14 UTC

@comeauch Good point! We have received similar feedback from a few people using Anki. I'm thinking about adding some form of copyable format that could be used for this.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 15:29:42 UTC

@Tsukumogami That would indeed be great, but currently there is no open data source that I am aware of that has this information.

Db0f19bb1524399035bb6502e9dd55e8
megific at 2015-04-18 18:06:23 UTC

Amazing update! Love all the new functionality, and how clean and easy to read everything is now. Keep up the good work!

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-18 18:27:46 UTC

@megific Glad you like it!

8400867b827ea1d10110dda86625e6b5
Briheas at 2015-04-18 23:28:15 UTC

Here are my initial impressions on the new update:

Too much info in each entry. I would prefer just to have the bare bones information (like the older version has) and then put all the extra new information on the details page. I think that would streamline the search results, and then we can click on the details for all the relevant info once we've found the correct entry.

I find the Links button extremely annoying, because even when I mouseover the area way to the right of it (ie not trying to mouse over it), the drop down menu appears, and it covers the entry.

On a whim, I tried searching くらいなさい. Classic jisho gives me the correct word (redirected to 食らう), but new jisho seems to think I'm searching for くらい, and gives me words like くらい, 暗い, and 位 instead. There was nothing about it being the polite command form of 食らう.

3be6a2e2b6b346789187cfccd7964b70
Serpentsounds at 2015-04-18 23:31:37 UTC

@Kimtaro
My OS is Windows 7 Professional SP1. I tested with Firefox 37.0.1 and Chrome 42.0.2311.90 m, with and without addons on both. In all cases, the classic front page was given focus, but not the new front page (or any other page that includes the new search bar). In addition, upon manually focusing, the default text was not cleared out of the bar.

I also tested in Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.17501, focus was given and search bar was emptied without issue.

04f56b69c47c7a63cc54f03a7dbac56c
Sydol at 2015-04-19 00:43:30 UTC

I would do something around these lines:
http://oi58.tinypic.com/s3zxoj.jpg

In other words, I would move around UI elements, and reduce logo size a bit.
I don't think we need to know immediately the extra information for every word, so it can be accessible via a rollover feature.
Also, by reducing the font size I managed to fit 7 words instead of 1.5 as it is right now:
http://oi61.tinypic.com/16783dl.jpg

Consider I did it with photoshop, so the font size can be tweaked to find the best balance for average display.
My two cents =)

3e0b2d459ea1c439b10f7aa42a88dd4f
abusuzuki at 2015-04-19 08:06:40 UTC

the best thing to me in the update is that you can now search words in katakana that aren't originally katakana like Onomatopoeia words and other, but for a future updates I hope you add a past button on a search bar that will be very helpful because I use past 80% for searching here.

501e34bb0f989c78286d1899b5940ed5
Ronrock at 2015-04-19 11:02:05 UTC

Mattaku.
Where can i change the iphone/ipodtouch interface to the full fledged PC-view ?
(I mostly use search for kanji by radicals).

Ah! i found it:
http://classic.jisho.org/kanji/radicals/

A1c6f967191bd2dbc26f71cd861abc48
somine at 2015-04-19 12:19:53 UTC

First of all I'd love to express my heartfelt gratitude for the classic version, it is my solace when I get annoyed to death at work :) I can see the forte of the new version: handwriting input, more modern looks, furigana over the kanjis in the sentences part, ..., but the sentences need more knowledge of Japanese to deavour, since entities (words, expressions) are not shown if you hover above the signs. That's a minus compared to the classic one. And, brr, it's so black :) The greatest disadvantage in my opinion is the dispersed display of the data. I have to keep rolling and rolling down the page, it's tiresome. I liked, or better said, I like the classic version's compactness: it's easier to look through. I also miss the immediate kanji magnifying feature. If I may say so, the classic version is more direct and sincere. Are you going to take it off the web after some time? Just to know if I need to buy some extra boxes of handkerchieves. Thank you a lot!

E1a43028c1b1a7730fa0e3c4864020ed
Mr_Random at 2015-04-19 15:43:51 UTC

Hello,

Due to how everything was so white on this site, I did a really quick "revamp" of the site's colors using a Chrome extension called Custom Javascript for Websites

Insert the following into CJS:

// Here You can type your custom JavaScript...
$('header').css('background', '#BBBBBB')
$(document.body).css('background', '#222222')
$(document.body).css('color', '#CCCCCC')
$('p').css('color', '#CCCCCC')
$('li').css('color', '#888888')
$('div .comment_body').css('background', '#444444');
$('div .discussion_status').css('background', '#AAAAAA');
$('h1, h2, h3, h4, h5').css('color', '#CCCCCC');
$('.text').css('color', '#777777')
$('span').css('color', '#848484');

And it'll be dark! But it'd be nice if the site had a "dark theme" to begin with, because this executes the JS on the load of any page, and this is clearly not a single page app.

E1a43028c1b1a7730fa0e3c4864020ed
Mr_Random at 2015-04-19 16:21:17 UTC

Also add

$('h2 a').css('color', '#CCCCCC')

6431f9a55f947b0f64677c915579fff7
o1645908 at 2015-04-19 18:53:27 UTC

The draw kanji doesn't work correctly when the window is scrolled. For example, when drawing a line with the window scrolled 100px from the top of the page, the actual line will appear 100px above the actual cursor location.

34ba6cc1e2e302c689916e90c69f1b25
Athanasius1915 at 2015-04-19 20:21:00 UTC

Seriously, this new version is awesome ! Although I liked the old one, 'cause I think it was more intuitive. So just thanks for sharing the link to the old version. I'll use both :)

troyp at 2015-04-20 20:28:32 UTC

@midori:
The kanji recognition seems similar to the one at http://kanji.sljfaq.org - it uses stroke order as part of the identification process, so it works well if you're confident of the exact stroke order, but it's basically useless if you get it wrong. The kanji recognition at Google Translate uses image recognition, so you can use that if you're not sure of the order.

@Kimtaro:
it's not really about the specific search. You can literally only see one or two results on the page, so if the result you want isn't at the very top, you have to scroll. On the classic site, you can see a dozen or more results without scrolling. It would work well on a mobile, but on a desktop... well, you can still only see as much as you would on a phone.

I just checked the new site again and it does seem faster than last time. Maybe a lot of people were using it at the time. It's definitely still slower than the classic site (it seems to take about 3 times as long to load), but it only takes a bit over a second now.

Btw, is there any way to specify the input language now? (eg. search specifically for the english word "man" or the romaji "man")? It's nice that you don't have to, but I can't find a way to do it when I want to.

15c75b1aec789d6ad8b0f9afdfb15c45
karam at 2015-04-21 00:47:51 UTC

I like this new version.
Still wondering, If i can save list of my searched words.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-21 07:35:11 UTC

@Briheas It's a balancing act what to include on the main results and what to relegate to the details page. We will continue tweaking and see if we can reach a state that suits most people.

The links button sounds like a bug. What OS and browser are you using?

Same for くらいなさい. The new site has a modified de-inflection system and I'll look into how it can support this.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-21 07:36:24 UTC

@Serpentsounds thanks for the detailed browser info, I'll look into why it's not working.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-21 07:37:23 UTC

@Sydol thanks for the nice mockup, I'll see if we can move towards something like that :)

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-21 07:38:01 UTC

@abusuzuki if you are logged in we will show you your last ten searches in the sidebar on the search results page. Considering increasing the amount of words we show.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-21 07:40:15 UTC

@somine we will bring back word info on sentences, and will keep working on the layout to make it a little more coherent. We have no plans to turn off classic Jisho at this point, and I don't expect that to change for a good while.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-21 07:41:58 UTC

@Mr_Random nice! :)

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-21 07:42:13 UTC

@o1645908 oops, will fix!

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-21 07:49:25 UTC

@troyp point well taken about the amount of information per display unit. We'll try to tighten it up a little bit more, but personally I find it easier to find things with the new layout since the Japanese and English is displayed closer together.

We have a few minor speed improvements in the pipeline that might make a small difference. But it might also be partially due to the new physical location of the server (Canadian east coast.)

When the input is ambiguous, like man, you can enclose it in quotation marks to turn off the automatic conversion to kana. In these cases you will also see something like this: Searched for まん. You can also try a search for "man".

Clicking on the word in quotes will take you to that search.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-21 07:49:47 UTC

@karam glad you like it! There is no way to save words right now, but that is a feature we want to add.

71b8acd9daa40fb7310bd6ec5d76e3a7
Daemonhell at 2015-04-21 10:12:51 UTC

Hello,
I have been using jisho.org for a while now and must say it is an extremely useful dictionary.
Does the function "show kana as romaji" while searching for a word still exist on this new version ?
I can't seem to find it anymore and unfortunately, I cannot (yet) read kana. If it doesn't, I guess I will have to learn it sooner than I thought.
Thank you for everything and best regards.

502dc776a0bb0781d0e81ceab22b1be5
Qsama at 2015-04-21 10:46:49 UTC

First of all, congratulations on finalizing and releasing the new format. I've been an avid user of jisho.org for the past 6-7 years and am most thankful for all the efforts you guys have made in order to improve the website and keep it running for all these years. The radical change in looks has finally given me an excuse to sign up, allowing me to drop a line!;)

Guess I'll make it a pros & cons list so its easy for you guys to read. Furthermore, I'm very glad to see that you guys are taking our opinions to heart and there is an open dialogue about ongoing changes.

Pros:
- The parameters for the search database seem to have improved a lot, showing results I was looking for.
- The unified search bar is much easier to use compared to the old one which was split into Japanese and English
- The ability to draw kanji yourself is a very welcome addition and allows for much quicker searches. Stroke recognition could use some tweaking however.
- The audio option and popup links for inflections and links are nice, compact and easy to use. I personally really like smooth small popup windows instead of having to click on new links. Perhaps you could incorporate more popup windows in the future in order to trim down the amount of data which is shown initially.

Cons:
- While I can understand the need for mobile platform optimization, I really dont like the new narrow format of the website. There is a lot of wasted space and causes the displayed information to be cropped up too much.
- The old website colors were a bit easier to the eye. Perhaps you could add some options for people to choose their own background color/gradient?
- Search results look very messy and lack structure. The font size seems erratic and the whole thing just takes up way too much space. While the initial search results have been vastly improved, this doesnt take into account the fact that people might want to look for many different kanji combinations. The current way of displaying results requires too much scrolling in that case.
- The combined results of words, kanji, names and sentences causes the screen to become cluttered. In many cases it simply shows one sentence or kanji and offers a link to more results, basically defeating the whole purpose of having results combined into one page for easy access. Perhaps you could make use of tabs to sort the results into their respective categories. It would still allow for quick results on the same page but not all combined at the same time.

Thats about it I guess. Good luck with any further improvements to the website! I'll be using both the new one and the classic to see how things progress, ultimately hoping for a blend between the two with the best of both worlds.

troyp at 2015-04-21 19:09:47 UTC

@Kimtaro:
Thanks for the tip about quoting words. I hadn't noticed that. So you can actually perform a romaji or English search from the same interface. That works well.

I actually thought the results for the English and romaji searches were combined, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I remember I tried a search for a romaji term and I got back lots of results for the English term with that spelling... but maybe it was because there were no results for the romaji. (I can't remember the word: it was something I heard, so I might have got the spelling or word boundary wrong)

So is the way it works?
* if the phrase is not valid romaji, do an English search. If it is valid romaji, then convert to kana.
* If an exact match for the kana is found, return results for kana search, with a link to the English search.
* Otherwise, return results for an English search, with a link to the kana search (since the kana search may still contain results that are superstrings of the search term).

8e8ade5e91b9461d5cbdfcf6feed695b
PurpleShurple at 2015-04-21 22:40:25 UTC

@Kimtaro What are you guys planning on doing about the example sentences? That is in my opinion one of the best features of Classic Jisho, and unless I'm mistaken you guys have completely removed it in this version. In my opinion you should at least include a link that will forward you to the sentences on the classic jisho database. As someone studying Japanese seeing a context in which the word is being used is honestly just as important as finding out it's meaning. What is the use of knowing a words meaning if you don't know how to use it. Thanks for actually reading these comments btw, I like that Jisho puts an emphasis on user feedback. A big fan of your guys' work.

246e31e7047ec84e7954adbf2ebad170
hopping at 2015-04-22 08:45:27 UTC

I am still finding my way around the new version, but I imagine I will get used to it; it also seems as if many "power users" have specific suggestions for improvements and I will watch the evolution with interest.

I can't remember seeing ads on the "classic" version -- maybe they were obscure? I see ads targeting me specifically (based on my recent searches) on the new version. I don't know a lot about how websites work, but I assume that if I click through on an ad and make a purchase a portion of the cost will go to support the site? If so, I will click through whenever I can, as I find Jisho.org to be an invaluable resource in my pursuit of Japanese and I would be happy to support the effort!

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-22 10:51:28 UTC

@Daemonhell Sorry, we haven't included it in the interface yet, but you can enable romaji with the #romaji tag. Like this: http://jisho.org/search/house%20%23romaji

But I highly recommend learning kana sooner rather than later :)

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-22 11:06:38 UTC

@Qsama Thank you for the detailed feedback and kind words :)

We are aware that the kanji drawing feature is sometimes not very accurate and we'll try to improve it. Be sure to use correct stroke order when writing, as this matters.

It's hard to strike a good balance between what information to show by default, what to have in popups and what to have only on the details page. Personally I want a lot of information up front :)

Several people have commented on the layout being too narrow on wide monitors and we are looking into making better use for large monitors.

Regarding the cluttered and overly white layout - we will definitely be tweaking this and I hope we can make something a little less computer'y than classic Jisho but more varied than the new layout.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-22 11:09:35 UTC

@troyp yep, that's pretty spot on. There's a few more edge cases being handled in the search code, for example to allow you to do things like http://jisho.org/search/%E9%96%8B%E3%81%AF%E3%81%A4, but the basics is what you wrote.

One day I want to write a detailed post about how the search works.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-22 11:14:33 UTC

@PurpleShurple Thanks for the kind words! I love all the feedback. Only wish I had more time to work on Jisho to implement all the requested changes.

The sentences are a part of the new site. We show them directly on certain words, like this: http://jisho.org/word/%E5%B8%B0%E3%82%8B

You can also search for sentences with the #sentences tag, like this: http://jisho.org/search/りんご%20%23sentences (currently the sentences are displayed with linked words like in classic Jisho - this is something we will fix)

You can also switch search mode with the dropdown on the left side of the search bar.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-22 11:16:58 UTC

@hopping classic Jisho also had ads, on the right hand side above search results. I think the way they work is that they generate money when you click on them. I must confess that I know very little about the ad business, so I'm not entirely sure. But I appreciate the support! :)

71b8acd9daa40fb7310bd6ec5d76e3a7
Daemonhell at 2015-04-22 15:09:30 UTC

@Kimtaro Thanks for the tip, the #romaji tag is not referenced in the "Advanced Search Options" page but it works well. I'll print hiragana and katakana charts and glue them to my wall so I won't have to use this tag for too long. :-)

5527889a80bd5da80680cfb7aaa09c88
CelestialSapphire at 2015-04-23 20:50:14 UTC

I am not liking this change much at all. There is far too much scrolling needed to see results. I don't see why you couldn't just fix whatever back-end thing decides on the order of results to make common words (like your house example) show up earlier in the list with the old compact layout. This new search system keeps failing to give me anything useful at all.
Ex. I searched for the word "Affect." Without quotes, I get one entry (Affection: Affection (Koda Kumi album)). With quotes it gives me no results at all. When I go to the classic site and put in the same search term, I find 30 Japanese words with affect in their definition (Including the one I was looking for). I eventually figured out that I could get the new site to give me actual results by making sure the search term wasn't capitalized. This seems minor, but it's an issue because when I have Japanese input enabled on my computer, as I usually do when using jisho, I capitalize the first letter to type in English so it doesn't convert to a garbled mess of kana. It's a pain to have to keep switching back to an English input just to use a dictionary.

Also, I dislike that searching for kanji by radical now takes more clicks than it did before, since I have to click to expand the box so I can see all of the results (bonus points for it also cutting off the last row of radicals at the bottom until I expand the box). This means I have to select more radicals than I usually would to find the kanji I'm looking for or scroll for them. I used to be able to see them all at once.

You have apparently added many new features, and yet I never would have figured it out if I hadn't read this announcement because everything is hidden. I don't find the new layout user-friendly, and it's hard on the eyes.

I do appreciate the work you guys do and I'm glad that you're trying to improve and modernize the site, but when you do it at the expense of functionality, there's a big problem. I hope you can at least fix the issue with search results though, that's a major thing for a dictionary and I can't be the only one who capitalizes things...

Ec4404d00b8f4e41050e610003072dff
Bonjinsha at 2015-04-24 15:20:57 UTC

So... how do I search for words containing a kanji?
I cannot find the word 玉蜀黍 as a word with 蜀 because it neither begins with 蜀 or ends with it.
Maybe I am just missing the link "Words containing"...

4dff6dbd5d9ec926ffb5266be887526f
nibarius at 2015-04-24 17:33:40 UTC

Over all it's nice but it'll take a while to get used to I guess.

One thing I really miss from the old version is the "external links". I often use the external link to google images to get further nuances on what the word means, especially if there are a couple of words that have the same or similar English meaning.

However I can only find links to google images for kanji, I can't find this anywhere for vocabulary where it would be more useful.

E6d8e45a81038fa6ebecd33f76b55e67
L666L at 2015-04-25 14:05:29 UTC

I really like the new Jisho. Some of the crossover features you've included are really good, like the WaniKani audio and levels and the links to Tae Kim. I also think it looks nice. It was scary at first but I feel at home now.

06fb89a5549b094b162ccd3ba77b720d
nhoernig at 2015-04-29 04:37:34 UTC

The new design is beautiful. Unfortunately, usability is a bit of a mess.

In the bookmark tool, highlighted words are translated in a pop-up. That's the same as before. Unfortunately now, there's a "Links" section which gives other resources. While a great concept in itself, whenever I scroll down the page, wherever my mouse is, those links pop-up automatically covering all the content I came to look at in the first place! Please reprogram the link pop-up so that it functions only when the mouse is directly over the text. What a headache!

Otherwise, nice!

76d238b8d6cfaa8562f8dd925f534a81
SenseiHanzo at 2015-04-30 02:31:03 UTC

I also noticed the issue with the Links popup and was meaning to post about it here. I would much prefer if it only showed up when the mouse is actually over the word, because as it is now it will show up if the mouse is anywhere on that same line.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-30 22:55:06 UTC

@CelestialSapphire Sorry, that Affect doesn't find the same thing as affect is a bug and I will fix that. The radical search box also has a few issues that we are aware of and we'll fix that as well. Hopefully we'll get the new site to a usable state for you.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-30 22:56:02 UTC

@Bonjinsha Sorry, this feature is not yet on the new site, but I am working on adding it right now. I hope to be able to release it in a week or so.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-30 22:56:29 UTC

@nibarius Do you mean external links for each word? You are right, we did forget to bring that feature over from classic Jisho. I'll make a todo item to add it back.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-30 22:57:06 UTC

@L666L glad you like it! :)

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-04-30 22:57:37 UTC

@nhoernig @SenseiHanzo I've had several people email me the same issue. I'll look into it!

07e32c2a649c38419a73cab9b63c42a6
calak at 2015-05-01 02:49:02 UTC

おめでとうございます

6c0355fe5ffc457447b94389776b9d0a
Masevah at 2015-05-05 04:30:03 UTC

すごーーい!めっちゃきれいみたい!

Df3aab9bfd5051bee04322ffb6c2cdd2
Tsuranui at 2015-05-05 15:39:48 UTC

Jisho has been the most instrumential in my Japanese studies, so this update is a bit of hindrance, I would say. I had to redo all the bookmarks indicating various kanji for me to memorize later or already memorized ones. As for bookmarked words, the update was actually an improvement because now I can see them. Also, all reading are part of one entry now, I had troubles with this when the old version was in use. There are some things that bother me about this version, but I don't find the classic Jisho appealing anymore, and the current Jisho has a room for further improvement.

1) The absence of this spreadsheet-friendly pattern leaves me no choice but to use both versions simultaneously. I am glad that new version introduces many facts about usage and grammar, and furigana is nice, but having the option of copying everything down is also important.
2) One-two days before the update I came across this form of the word "fool" - 莫迦. It had its set of definitions, but the new version does not reflect this. I remember googling the difference, and there clearly was something that separates this form from the rest.
3) This one concerns bookmarking again. I think many people would appreciate it if the option were integrated. Sometimes i have problems putting hashtags in the right place. Is is possible to fix their position?
4) I am not fond of the radicals button. Perhaps an optional separate page for them is what I need. Clicking the kanji tab can be tiresome.

My points aside, the update is solid. Even if there is no way to make my experience easier, I will still use Jisho. Looking forward to new features!

76d238b8d6cfaa8562f8dd925f534a81
SenseiHanzo at 2015-05-07 05:11:49 UTC

@Tsuranui: I don't believe there's much of a different nuance to 莫迦 compared to 馬鹿 or バカ. Here's a Japanese dictionary entry that shows both sets of kanji with the exact same definition: http://www.weblio.jp/content/%E8%8E%AB%E8%BF%A6
The only real difference seems to be in the origin of the kanji (莫迦 is the original form and a phonetic approximation of a Sanskrit word, whereas 馬鹿 is ateji), but they still mean the same thing. Also, on classic Jisho the two forms have exactly the same definitions, but 莫迦 is listed as using outdated kanji.

Df3aab9bfd5051bee04322ffb6c2cdd2
Tsuranui at 2015-05-07 16:24:11 UTC

@SenseiHanzo There really doesn't seem to be anything special about 莫迦, I don't know what made me suspicious that day. One less complaint, though I forgot to mention that you can't see the list of your previous inquiries when you click the search box or enter a word / kanji. Somebody's already pointed it out, I think.

nibarius at 2015-05-08 20:03:58 UTC

@kimtaro, yes that's exactly what I mean. I'm looking forward to when the feature is brought over.

By the way, most of the time when I try to log in (especially on the forum page) I just get an error "Couldn't log in" so I haven't been able to post this reply for a couple of days now. But now logging in works in Chrome while it's still broken in Opera.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-05-09 14:23:55 UTC

@Tsuranui

1) Several people has pointed this out - an unintended feature of classic Jisho! I will add some form of Anki/Spreadsheet friendly mode to new Jisho.

3) Yeah, in hindsight the hashtag only search interface isn't 100% great. I'm thinking of ways to augmenting it with more URL friendly options.

4) I'm not sure if I understand you. How is the overlay different from a separate page? Is it the size of the radicals and the results that is an issue with the overlay?

@nibarius Sorry, I'm looking into login issues. When it happens, are you on the jisho.org domain? Sometimes my browser has inadvertently sent me to beta.jisho.org, which login will not work on anymore.

nibarius at 2015-05-09 19:50:34 UTC

@Kimtaro That's exactly what happens! If I go to beta.jisho.org I can't log in, when I'm at jisho.org I can log in. Now I know how to log in, so that's great!

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-05-10 16:29:51 UTC

@nibarius glad that was it. I'll make beta.jisho.org redirect to jisho.org soon.

B2508a41497912e54f292c6df2e5c790
JapaneseGuy at 2015-07-17 09:37:10 UTC

There's only one thing I miss: the kana form of words. For example the result of "呼び捨て" shows it with furigana, so the pronunciation is indeed 100% clear... but there's no way to easily copy-paste よびすて (into Anki for example)

This problem hasn't been fixed. And it's almost three months since some people mentioned it up. How long must we wait?

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-07-18 21:51:24 UTC

@JapaneseGuy Sorry that we haven't fixed that yet. It's a matter of not having a whole lot of time to work on the site, a steady stream of things to improve and wanting to come up with the best solution to a problem.

We were discussing this issue recently though, and so far what we're thinking of implementing is an option in the Links menu that would present the word in a format that's easy to copy.

If you have another idea for how you would like this feature to work I'd love to hear it.

F4747513bcfca9cd12077f35a1a8062d
nonocchi at 2015-07-18 23:26:45 UTC

Awesome job with the work! Thank you! ^
Aside from minor issues such as having to scroll a bit more due to larger fonts and kanji details one more click away the new design is a huge improvement I would say.
Also, what database is used for the new stroke order animations? I don't think it's mentioned in the footer of the site next to KanjiVG and in the About page.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-07-18 23:27:55 UTC

@nonocchi, glad you like the new site! We use the KanjiVG data for the animations as well.

9d692308fc0ea6fff764e725ebc8d1a4
Danjc at 2015-09-02 10:28:15 UTC

Just found this software a few days ago and as an early Japanese learner I was having a bit of a struggle with it ...

But now, I am getting my head around all of the features and am LOVING IT !!!!!!!!!

thanks for all the work ...

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-09-02 23:13:44 UTC

Glad you like it!

3d25124a5bc0724dceea316a5a1eed05
chansoriya at 2015-09-10 11:09:11 UTC

Do you think a "favorite" or "history" option would be possible for those who sign-in?

45a5dbfaf78df6038bdc80f5eb93081b
Flying_Banana at 2015-09-11 02:22:50 UTC

Completely agree that there should be favourite/history functionalities!

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-09-21 20:23:13 UTC

There is a limited search history box when you are logged in. It'll appear in the right hand column on the search results page. I also plan on adding a way to favourite words or add them to lists.

8cbcacbeee9e136c4e12c8a3a0667e1d
Magison at 2015-10-03 09:37:43 UTC

Hello,
I love this dictionary, it's the best ever.
Saving lists and bookmarks are available on mobile though, why not on the site?
Additionally; I can bookmark words but not kanji (mobile version) why is that?

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-10-04 23:21:31 UTC

@Magison - we don't have a mobile app :)

3817b2d116f8216af6f78a23c311a2d5
maneco at 2015-10-12 21:56:14 UTC

@Kimtaro, have you ever considered the possibility of providing Jisho in other languages? Not only for kanji as we already have, but mainly for vocabulary. You could call on a group of users with other mother tongues to help with building a database.

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-10-17 00:14:57 UTC

@maneco, some of the source data actually contain translations in several other languages. I do want to include searching and showing these languages as well, but it's a large project and I'm not sure when I can get to it unfortunately.

94b80013f74c5f8506691f9a4d4d107c
hmitchell at 2015-10-17 02:07:34 UTC

It would be fantastic to have a history of searched words (more than 10) and especially if it was possible to export them to Anki, since all the words I look up are usually ones I want to work on remembering! The new Jisho is amazing!

586e394363c1f3740f76784d374cde9e
Asadamcan at 2015-10-17 11:41:41 UTC

Any news on when an app is coming out or are there no plans?

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-10-28 10:06:16 UTC

@hmitchell these are features we plan on implementing at some point in the future.

@Asadamcan there are no plans for an app at the moment as I do not have the time to work on one unfortunately.

3817b2d116f8216af6f78a23c311a2d5
maneco at 2015-10-31 20:54:25 UTC

@Kimtaro, again on the topic of other languages in Jisho: how effective building this database would be if other users voluntarily helped you with it? (consider this an proof of interest on my behalf) xD

Kimtaro Admin at 2015-10-31 22:23:47 UTC

@maneco, The main obstacle is not adding the language data since a lot of it already exists, it's me making sure it's made searchable in a good way and displayed in a way that makes sense.

If you want to help adding data I would suggest contacting Jim Breen who maintains the source data file. http://www.edrdg.org/wwwjdic/wwwjdicinf.html#feed_tag

to reply.